Search My Blog

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Sarah: Q & A about Giving Blood

By: Brandon Agee
How old are you?
“Twenty.”
What did you do today?
“I donated blood.”
Where did you donate blood?i
“MCV.”
Why did you donate blood?
“I donated blood because it saves three lives and I like to help people in any way I can.  I am busy so I do not have a lot of time to do things like this.”
What did you have to do in order to donate blood?
“I had to register when I got there.  I had to get my iron levels, my blood pressure, and my temperature checked.  Then I had to do a questionnaire to make sure I did not have any blood disorders.  I passed all of these and was able to donate my blood.”
How long did it take you?
“It took me an hour and a half to go through the whole process from registering to leaving MCV.
How did you feel?”
“I was scared at first because they use a big needle, but after they put it in it was not that bad.  My arm was a little sore afterwards.”
How did the staff treat you?
“They were nice and helpful.  They seemed like they knew what they were doing so I was not scared.”
What did they tell you when you were done?
“They told me not to smoke for at least 30 minutes, and not to drink alcohol for at least five hours.  They also said no heavy lifting or strenuous activity for at least 24 hours.  They also told me not to miss any meals for the next few days.”
Did you get anything for giving blood?
“Yes, they gave me a free T-shirt and a free meal.”
Were there a lot of people giving blood?
“Yes, there was a line out the door for registration when I left.”
Did you learn anything new while you were giving blood?
“I learned that if you weigh over 160 pounds you can give twice the amount of blood and you will get your plasma back.  They said you can save six lives this way where as just giving blood only saves three lives.”
Would you recommend people to donate blood?
“Yes, because it’s for a good cause and they are warm and welcoming to make it easier.”

No comments:

Post a Comment